10.24.2008

once in a while

Once in a while, I'll get a card design in my head in the middle of the day when I'm busy doing something else. In this case, an idea came to mind about an hour before I left work today. I frantically drew out a rough sketch so I wouldn't forget it, dashed home (practically speed ran - ha ha), and made a beeline for my crafting table to execute the design. And voila!

I have to say that I'm really happy with the way it came out. :) I started out by stamping and embossing the snowflakes (Elzybells "snowflake 1" stamp) with a Versamark ink pad onto some new cardstock I bought from Papertrey Ink in "ocean tides". Then I poured some Rangers embossing powder in "seafoam white" on top, shook off the excess, and heat embossed them. Next, I punched them out with a 1-1/4" square punch and made sure not to make them all centered on purpose. Then I mounted each square onto a 1-1/2" square of silver metallic cardstock. I applied some Aleene's paper glaze around each of the 1-1/4" square's edges, then covered the glazed area with some microfine glitter, and set them aside to dry. I like how it gave the edges a chunky, snowed on look.

To assemble the card, I used a piece of white cardstock that was cut down to 5.5" x 8.5" folded in half as a card base, then I glued a 4.25" x 5.5" piece of "ocean tide" cardstock on top of the card cover. I bought some of Papertrey Ink's "stamper's select vellum cardstock" and just love how thick and durable it is. I cut a sheet of it into 4.25" x 5.5" rectangles, and then used a Martha Stewart "simple scallop edge" punch on the right edge. I adhered the vellum to the top of the card using two small mini glue dots which were then covered up by tying a piece of "ocean tides" ribbon on top. Once the glittered squares were dry, I set them in place with some adhesive, stamped the message, and ta-da! A lovely holiday card.


2 comments:

little.one said...

It's so lovely, Candice. Now I want some of that Ocean Tides card stock. I just bought some stuff from Papertrey too. We're so bad for each other. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I need some! ;)